cobb lake........bluffton.crappie and a monster bass...woohoo!!!!

Go down

Outdoors cobb lake........bluffton.crappie and a monster bass...woohoo!!!!

Post by bugeyedjig on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:20 pm

alright now, cobb lake was known as the bluffton national quarry up until last year when they renamed it for a guy who was in our sportsmen club his whole life. he passed away last spring and in his will he left money to the club to honor all world war 2 vets somehow, so they renamed the quarry to his name "cobb" and put up a sign with all ww2 vets name on it from bluffton. this quarry is our stomping ground and most of our posts thru the year will probably come from here. anyways rain started today before i could whip off to mccomb so i changed up and went to cobb. this place is deep and takes forever to warm up and in our log books we have never caught a fish here until after the 2nd week of april. i grabbed some waxworms and a dozen minnows out of our tank and headed off. first cast with the minnow rig i didn't like so i reeled in and cast down the bank under a over hanging tree hoping for some crappie, but not real high hopes. set the rod down and happened to glance over at the bobber and it was going down. i set the hook and the little ultralight doubled over and the reel screamed. i caught a green glimpse of it and i thought .huge walleye, got it to the bank and landed a 4 pound bass. woohoo! no one with me so i didn't get pictures, but released it instead of keeping. probably a big female. so i poke around a little more and nothing so i moved to the other end on some sunken brush. right off the bat, crappie, then another , lost then another lost and another lost and another landed and another lost. ended up with 3 to bring home and 5 escapees. lets blame all the lost fish on my nerves after the big bass, it'll make me feel better. kim is excited since the crappie are hitting this early. we'll be there all week and give reports. here is a picture of the crappies, and a picture of a drawing of the lake after a ton of fishing and cameraing underwater.
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: cobb lake........bluffton.crappie and a monster bass...woohoo!!!!

Post by bugeyedjig on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:27 pm

we have spent tons of time on this quarry, and know it better than most. when we had the bait shop the people around would come in and look at our map to decide where to fish for the day,that was pretty cool. it has striper, smallmouth, largemouth, channel cats, bluegills, crappie's that'll blow your mind, perch, walleye, and carp. we've seen catfish 4 feet long on the underwtaer camera, and bass that go probably 15 pounds, carp long as my leg, and have sat in schools of walleye with the camera on and plucked 1 after another from the school watching it all on the screen. it's a heck of a place, but hard to learn to fish.if you look closely at the map you will see diagrams of big fish shaded with pencil. these are fish we have hooked and never seen. they either broke off or pulled loose or 1 time i had one hooked that was running line off my reel, and i just kept adjusting drag up until finally ran all the line off.! monsters!!!!!!!!!!! could be.

Last edited by bugeyedjig on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add to)
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:41 pm

great catch on the 4lb er, nice crappies also, sounds like u got one heck of a spot to fish.
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher on Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Thats a sweet map!
You really have that placed mapped out and know alot about it, I have a good feeling about it for you fishing it this year Wink

OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bugeyedjig on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:22 pm

tough day down there this afternoon with the big weather change. but got a few and lost 3. the 2 i got were 2 feet deeper than they were on sunday. see how weather affects fish? i think that they might have moved out away from the bank too.
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by kmjschulz on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:38 pm

nice slabs
kmjschulz
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by kprice5 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:44 pm

man you are the crappie king!!!!! Im so busy with school im not going to be able to get out till the weekend.
kprice5
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 pm

defin nice slabs, beat the skunk on a crappy day, way to go
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 pm

That's a post! Map is outstanding, and the story an fish are great! Good job getting out and including the kids. That's what it's all about man.

Have a good one

ratherbe
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Big fish, as alwayss Very Happy

OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum