Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Question, the admins here have it right!

3 posters

Go down

Outdoors Forum Question, the admins here have it right!

Post by Mushijobah Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new but frequent a few other forums around the web. I've been around for years. I recently moved on an idea that i've had for a while. A website with information, tips, and articles regarding the Urban Deer Hunting scene.

You can find it @
www.urbandeerhunting.com

I plan to first cater to urban areas in Ohio that have management programs, urban zones, legalized hunting within cities..

The main site is obviously under construction, but I chose Simple Machines as a forum. It is free (which is a must), but I'm worried about the simple layout. This forum seems pretty diverse in its posting options. Have any of you Admins found PHPBB to be a better forum source? If so, for what reasons? I hope to have something that is simple to use yet upgradeable and able to be advanced eventually.

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited by Mushijobah on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mushijobah
Mushijobah
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: Forum Question, the admins here have it right!

Post by OhioFisher Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:04 pm

I tried your site, It didn't work?
Once I see what you jave I'll get into these forums Wink
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mushijobah Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Oops! I forgot the 't' in hunting...I better start learning how to spell my site before asking advice about it!

www.urbandeerhunting.com
Mushijobah
Mushijobah
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Mushijobah wrote:Oops! I forgot the 't' in hunting...I better start learning how to spell my site before asking advice about it!

www.urbandeerhunting.com

LOL.. I hate fat fingers! I have the same problem... but to answer your question about the PHPBB coding compared to other forum codings... I would highly recommend using the PHPBB coding!!! Its more user friendly... and supports far more options when "fluffing" the layout. Being a web designer myself, I mainly use coding languages such as HMTL, CSS, X-HTML, and Javascript... which are all fine and dandy for websites, but a bulletin board (BB) or a forum board is a very standard layout of display information... BBCode was devised to provide a safer, easier and more limited way of allowing users to format their messages... programmer convenience was certainly another factor, as BBCode is very simple to implement utilizing very simple tags (tags are bracketed pieces of information that a browser reads which determines how a layout looks when it pops up on your computer screen) previously, many message boards allowed the users to include HTML formatting, a side effect of which was that malformed HTML could disrupt the page's layout, or HTML could be used to run JavaScript leading to XSS problems...

In other words, use any type of forum coding you want... just make sure it includes BB coding somewhere in it, which will make your life as an admin or moderator alot easier!!!
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:45 pm

I just check your site out... its powered by MySQL, PHP, and also supports X-HTML and CSS which is a plus... so you can make it fancy looking but still have the forum style layout (like OGF... they can add frilly stuff to the page, but their layout is still a basic BB forum layout)
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:54 pm

FHK06 is way better with computers than I am! I'd say he pretty much summed that up for ya if you could understand it Wink
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down