Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steelhead

4 posters

Go down

Fishing Steelhead

Post by OhioFisher Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Report from Ohiooutdoor news-http://ohiooutdoornews.com

Steelhead: At Cleveland Metroparks, due to constraints of a supplier coupled with the projected weather forecast, trout stocking was scheduled for Feb. 6. Also, anglers have been catching trout at first light in the morning and as it gets dark in the evenings on jigging spoons such as Swedish Pimples. Some anglers have reported the best fishing only a few feet down. The bite during the day has been very slow. Additionally, a fair amount of the Rocky River has been opening up, especially in the middle reaches.

Open-water fishing opportunities on the Rocky River are currently nearly nonexistent with the majority of the river being completely frozen over. A few tiny open areas currently remain, below ford areas in particular. Even though you will see a few folks ice fishing on the river, especially near the marina area, Cleveland Metroparks highly discourages this due to serious safety concerns associated with this activity.

Anglers have been ice fishing Cleveland Metroparks ponds and lakes for the past few weeks. Most reports have reflected that fishing for stocked trout has been slow overall, with some reports of good fishing activity toward evening and especially just after dark (you can fish park water until 11 p.m.). Plenty of trout are still present in Wallace, Shadow, Ledge, Judges, and Ranger lakes from the stockings at the end of December (half of that 1,800 pounds of trout went into Wallace). Additionally, Shadow (350 pounds), Ledge (300 pounds) and Judges (250 pounds) lakes were all stocked on Jan. 29. The plan to restock Wallace and Ranger lakes was put on hold until early February due to the recent winter storm delaying plans.

Stocked trout typically bite well on Power Bait in brighter colors, salmon eggs, live minnows, and small jigs tipped with grubs (wax worms or maggots). Some anglers have reported their best luck working a small jigging spoon such as a Swedish Pimple. Offerings can be fished under a small float or right on the lake bottom.
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Fishing Re: Steelhead

Post by OhioFisher Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Steelhead: The Rocky River is still elevated and muddy due to recent melt off and rain, but is dropping quickly, according to a report from Cleveland Metroparks. The river may be on the muddy side of fishable, especially at barriers to fish migration (such as fords) that tend to concentrate fish during high water. Plan to use large and bright offerings for your best bet to hook-up with a fresh mid-winter steelhead trout. During changing river conditions, as we are now experiencing, anglers would be wise to monitor the most recent river water level and temperature.

Conditions on Metropark lakes and ponds are not currently safe for ice fishing, Metroparks stresses. Ice conditions deteriorated very quickly during the thaw. Unwise anglers who attempt to venture out on thin ice may find themselves being rescued.

On the other hand, anglers are successfully fishing for recently stocked rainbow trout through the ice from the solid ground offered by numerous docks and fishing platforms, or at inlets where the ice has melted. Anglers have reported good success fishing small jigs tipped with a few maggots under small bobbers. Additionally, stocked trout typically bite well on PowerBait in brighter colors, salmon eggs, live minnows, wax worms, and jigging spoons.

This winter, a total of 3,600 pounds of rainbow trout were stocked in Wallace, Shadow, Ledge, Ranger, and Judges lakes around the park district (in descending order in terms of number of fish stocked). Fully half of those fish (1,800 pounds) were released in Wallace Lake, which is the largest of these bodies of water.

Report from-http://ohiooutdoornews.com
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks Jonny
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kprice5 Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:39 pm

ill be there next week....if there are fish in that river u can bet ill be catchin em lol fishin rockcliff spring if anyone wants to go
kprice5
kprice5
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

if i was't on call next weekend i would make the long drive up. always wanted to catch a big steelie.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Depending on when you're going in spring I'd be game to carpool up there if somebody else wants to go.
I'll even clean the fish!
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:31 pm

ratherbe. on 3 week rotation on call if you guys go i will carpool with ya. don't no where logan co is. i could meet u in cols. or north of. someone will have to give me clues on what lure to bring. pound test to use and baitcasters or spinning. keep me in mind. on call next weekend then have following two off.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down