Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

in fisherman magazine....not what it was couple of years ago

+2
saugeye1
bugeyedjig
6 posters

Go down

Outdoors in fisherman magazine....not what it was couple of years ago

Post by bugeyedjig Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 pm

i am a firm believer in learn all you can learn about something you do. and i read all the time. just wondered if anyone else has noticed this or not. or maybe it's just me. after buying every in fisherman magazine as they come out and buying piles of their older magazines; i even have copies of the origanal first 20; i think i am done buying them. here's why. they are not the same as they were, obviously not the same as in the beginning, but just in the last couple of years i have noticed a big change. the articles are about most fish we will never go after. it's like they aren't for the common man anymore. i'm not going to whip off to texas bass fishing or arkansas crappie fishing this weekend, i am fishing the average joe smoe water, but is there more than 1 article for poor old joe smoe...nope. i looked at this months new issue at the bookstore yesterday and was disappointed in it so much, that i didn't buy it. first time in a long time. and something else i noticed too is they are really commercialized too. buy this to catch that, and buy this to wear while catching that. now i did buy the panfish issue, and i'll buy the catfish issue too, maybe. but i was really disappointed in the catfish one last year, so i'll look it over really well before dropping the five bucks. i don't know, they just seem to be about the sale of everything now instead of the realistic fisherman. makes me wonder why al lindner went his own way. could be he saw it coming. could be!? i even have a signed calendar with everyone in the office of in fisherman magazine...right after al left. just rambling, but really disappointed. now recently my neighbor gave me about 3 yrs worth of fishing magazines. " north american fisherman" now this magazine is for the joe smoes of the world. they even have a website htat you can goto to view their older articles. and in the back of the magazine is a section of tips, written by people just like us. bad thing is i have never seen there magazine in bookstore, so that means i will probably have to join the club.

Last edited by bugeyedjig on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding too it)
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: in fisherman magazine....not what it was couple of years ago

Post by saugeye1 Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 pm

i wish more mags would cover more bank fishin, seems like the cater to everone who has boats.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bugeyedjig Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 pm

i don't have a scanner, or i would email you an article from one of the north american magazines. nothin but bank fishing crappies in the spring. little things to look for and where, and the sun, and the plankton. awesome article. we own an older boat fiberglass, eighteen footter. it's great, but i bet we spend equal amount of time fishing from the bank as we do on the boat. have to get a picture of it and post it on here.
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm

I've heard some bad things about infisherman also, I had subscribed to it and it was nice but I don't like mags that don't cover local waters...
I have also heard of the using the same articles... Thats pretty lame!

My favorties are Ohio Game&Fish and the Ohio Outdoors News newspaper we get... Local tips and local reports...
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bugeyedjig Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 pm

yeah, same article worded different. ohio game and fish is a good one!
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by BrendanK Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm

im still waiting for my first issue to come
BrendanK
BrendanK
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 pm

I agree on Ohio Game and Fish! Far superior to some of the big nationals... WHen I was a kid I used to read all the bass fishing magazines, and they were better then than they are now. I let my bassmaster membership expire a year ago and I haven't given it a second thought. They either cover southern waters, northern waters, or boating anglers' interests.... there is no in between, and Ohio is about as in between as you can get.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tod Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:13 am

I also believe in the over commercialized adds but it takes money not just to print but to ship them and to go on location for stories.

Lets look at it this way use the information in the articles to the lakes you already fish. There just fish they are no different they got eat. I think we give the fish to much credit. I heard a guy talking about covering the hook with a waxie to hide it, if the fish knows it was a hook then he also would know it was attached to line with a fisherman at the other end wanting to put in the pan.

Just my thoughts.
Tod
Tod
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down