Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold water Crappies

+3
Tod
OhioFisher
JimG
7 posters

Go down

Outdoors Cold water Crappies

Post by JimG Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Around the Sandusky area ,I try different spots that are open water this time of the year.

Most of the time it is hit and miss, but I was suprised to fish the bridge area at the entrance to Cedar Point just east of where you make the turn on to the causeway and tried minnows no weight and a float. Fished yesterday about 1 1/2 hours and caught two nice crappies and that was it.

Went back this morning and gosh was it cold, everything kept freezing up, but was able to bring home 5 good sided out of 11 caught.

Kinda suprised, for this water is shallow and most of the time you don't find them there this time of the year, but I noticed lots of shad and minnows dimppling the water surface and maybe that had something to draw them.

But all the same it was a good lunch today and I don't think you could find freshier crappies then about 3 hhours old from catching.

Wish success to all of you and be careful of the cold,

JimG
JimG
JimG
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: Cold water Crappies

Post by OhioFisher Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks for the report JIM
Do any ice fishing for the crappies?
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tod Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Nice meal you got Jim
Tod
Tod
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by tcba1987 Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm

that bridge used to be a awesome spot for catfishing ................but thats been several years ago !!!
tcba1987
tcba1987
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:08 pm

nice catch, still waiting for my first fish of 09
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm

saugeye where do you usually fish? Where is New Plymouth?
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:21 pm

usually for saugeye, lake logan or ohio river. i live 15 mins from lake logan going south of logan. for crappie when i had a boat usually lake hope. i've caught 15.5 and wife 16.5 incher from their. can't get to them spots from shore.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:16 am

saugeye1 wrote:usually for saugeye, lake logan or ohio river. i live 15 mins from lake logan going south of logan. for crappie when i had a boat usually lake hope. i've caught 15.5 and wife 16.5 incher from their. can't get to them spots from shore.

Dont want to hi-jack the thread seeing how it's for cold water tactics for crappie, but do you ever fish Lake Logan for flatheads?
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:25 am

no, i can't remember the last time i went catfishing. they do catch some big ones outa there.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:28 pm

they catch some monster flatheads out of Logan each year... I believe they even hold catfishing tourneys for them... on another forum, there is a guy who regularly catch 30lb-50lb flatties each year
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:16 pm

defin. some hoss cats in there, don't do much catfishin anymore the older i get it gets harder to stay up later at night. plus i don't like sleeping half my day away the following day.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:52 pm

if you can specifically target where they are lurking during the daylight hours, you can catch them anytime... though night is when most people target big flatheads, its very easy to catch them during the day if you can find where they hold
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down