Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whitebassin'

+2
saugeye1
Flathead King 06
6 posters

Go down

Outdoors Re: Whitebassin'

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm

speaking of bragging lol! caught all of these in a little over 4 hours in buck creek, we ended up with 403 fish after giving away two 5 gal buckets full, a 6' stringer full, and a 35 gal trash can about half full to OhioFisher's mom...

now I know this may look like I should have my a$$ kicked up to between my ears for those who think this is "over harvest", but I assure you the Game Warden himself tells all fishermen when down there to throw the WB away, take them home, throw them in the weeds, or give them away... just dont put them back in the water... The DNR wants them out of CJ for fear that they have too big a predation on the walleye fingerlings they stock annually

Whitebassin' Whitebass_430

This is a 20' catfish stringer filled completely except for 3' of line used to drag it out
Whitebassin' Whitebass_430_2
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 pm

i thought you said two coolers. i'm thinkin more like ten!!!!!! never ate whities how do they taste?
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey, there's the bait you need for those cats. As long as they all made it to the cleaning table or the freezer.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:13 pm

like any other fish that gets fried up and dipperd in tartar sauce or ketchup or tabasco..... good! cheers
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 pm

@ saugeye1-

WB have fleshy white meat... and when fixed right, you can't tell a difference between it and walleye... just make sure you cut all the dark meat (red meat, AKA mud streak) off the fillet and skin them out... thats where all the fishy oily taste comes from... one of the best ways to fix it that I discovered this past year is to take several fillets and fry them without a batter over low heat with butter, garlic, salt and pepper to taste... its even better than batter dipped fish I think... and I've grown up eating battered fish

@ ratherbefishing-

Every fish we catch is cleaned and eaten... We donate about 50lbs of fillets to the church next door for an annual fish fry each year, and also help supply our family with fresh fish... believe me it doesn't go to waste!!! I have used, and still am using WB fillets and remains for spring cat bait... and before the actual run takes place, we can go down to the mouth of buck creek and CJ and catch all the WB we want in the 4-6" range... they make great live and cut bait for big flatheads

Last edited by Flathead King 06 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 pm

BRAGGER!!!!!! Lol, might as well join Wink as far a whitebass go for eating.. they're really good FRESH... BUT IMO after they're frozen they get the fishy taste...
Whitebassin' 0522082020a
Whitebassin' DidgiFishPics3094
Whitebassin' 0508081927a
That was just last year Very Happy
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:22 pm

OhioFisher wrote:BRAGGER!!!!!! Lol, might as well join Wink
You're going to make me bust out the photo album lol! I know those are from fremont for the most part I believe, but now days, how does it compare with the CJ run? Is it still good or has the quality of it gone down too?
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Is that a joke??? Does it compare to CJ on the run???
What you asked that question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell it's 9000000 times better and is just as good every year I've fished it. I've filled a crappie basket in 15min. before!
Lol I'm thinking about spiltting this topic, any objections Laughing Laughing
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 pm

OhioFisher wrote:Lol I'm thinking about spiltting this topic, any objections Laughing Laughing

And that wasn't a joke... last time I was there, it was shoulder to shoulder packed... people crossing your line and the fishing was just O.K.... i didnt find anything about it any more special than CJ... We used to hit fremont every year but it started getting terrible with people and and fishing started slacking off... and the larger females that we used to catch weren't there anymore

As for a crappie basket in 15 mins... thats easy here at CJ when they are turned on... you can fill a large catfish basket in the matter of about 20 mins

And i was thinking about splitting the thread... but wanted to wait until everyone was done posting... kinda got off topic Laughing
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 pm

you guys kill me. you are the wb kings!!!!!!!!!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm still going to go with South Fork Creek at Indian Lake... in its hayday it was nothing to get a fish(or two) on 200 consecutive casts. And all very sizable.... 12" min, most in the 15"-16" neighborhood.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:38 pm

WB Kings... that's like being the best hitter on a T-ball team!
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:I'm still going to go with South Fork Creek at Indian Lake... in its hayday it was nothing to get a fish(or two) on 200 consecutive casts. And all very sizable.... 12" min, most in the 15"-16" neighborhood.

Same for CJ and Fremont... but its its prime, I would have to say Fremont definitely has everything beat... if you had 18 hooks tied on your line, you caught 18 fish (exaggeration for making my point only Very Happy) and every fish was 15" or bigger

best year for CJ was '04 between my father and myself we caught over 2500 in a matter of about a month and the biggest fish was 23" long 4lbs... though the fishing isnt anywhere near what it used to be for each place... they each have their own days where its pure pandemonium for catching WB
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:WB Kings... that's like being the best hitter on a T-ball team!

lol! Good Post
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 pm

better to be the best hitter than ridin the pine!!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:46 pm

saugeye1 wrote:better to be the best hitter than ridin the pine!!!!!!

lol! Good Post
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:47 pm

saugeye1 wrote:better to be the best hitter than ridin the pine!!!!!!

I guess....
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Ok I was serious
Time to talk some WB Razz bounce
You may have ppl should to shoulder but thats what makes it fun Smile
Or you can go up to the dam..
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kprice5 Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:33 pm

unreal lol that is alotta fish...congrats... I tried whitebass before caught off lake erie...I would not compare them to walleye but they were not too bad. Little more bones and more of a fishy taste
kprice5
kprice5
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:52 pm

kprice you mainly fish the west end?
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by slugo Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:40 am

I love to catch the White Bass! Its so much fun on light gear. If you find the right spot you can catch them by the bucket full Cool
slugo
slugo
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:42 am

maybe I'll post a video of how to clean properly.... or jonny can. Do you have any cleaning vids?
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down