Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

heavy snow

4 posters

Go down

Outdoors heavy snow

Post by saugeye1 Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:38 pm

alright u ice experts, on 5" of ice how much extra weight will the snow stress the ice, will it still be safe?
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: heavy snow

Post by OhioFisher Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Well the snow weight won't matter too much it will just slow the ice making process... It insulates the ice which makes for slower ice making.

It should still be safe Smile
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rogue Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Saugeye you should be fine , just keep saying out loud I'm as lite as a butterfly , I'm as lite as a butterfly . That's what I do .
rogue
rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 pm

lite as a 200 pd butterfly
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 pm

lol! Good Post

Brian we are headin to indian next weekend!!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by rogue Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Saugeye that's not a butterfly that's ( MOTHRA ) !!! You know that big moth that fought Godzilla . You might want to pay someone to go out and drill your hole and just use your spinner and cast out to it . No man just funning you you'll be fine with your spud-bar .

Jonny I'm heading to lake Erie next weekend .
rogue
rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Well shat lol I'm just thinkin, why would I fish indian when i have erie?
Ah heck who cares lol good luck Im sure ill have some reports
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AllWeatherAngler Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 am

Well, I am not an "expert" in my own opinion but, I do have 12+ years of ice experience and having gotten wet and lucky a couple times I have become fairly proficient in avoiding the hazards. On 5" of good ice in cold weather well below freezing you can expect the ice to remain safe. There are a few factors to consider about the stress snow weight will put on the ice. The type of snow is one thing to consider whether it is a light powdery snow or a heavy wet snow with the latter being the obvious concern. Aside from type of snow you can consider the depth of the snow as more snow can insulate to the point where the ice can erode or thin creating a hazard in areas prone to thinning. Another thing to consider is how much weight you bring to the table including yourself, buddies and gear. The added weight can make the ice "sag". When holes are drilled on sagging ice you allow water onto the surface allowing it to saturate the surrounding snow and thus creating more weight and stress. This would be an issue of moderate concern on ice of less than 5" and slightly less concern on ice greater than 5". One thing that I have done to decrease this risk is carrying a snow shovel on my sled to clear a small area of snow away if any great amount exists. This will reduce the amount of water saturated snow on your section of ice. Use your best judgement and follow your "gut". If you're unfamiliar with ice formation on any water body, drill often! Be safe out there and I hope this helps.heavy snow 2010_f15
AllWeatherAngler
AllWeatherAngler
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 am

great tips, allweather looks like u guys been workin hard at snowden to get ice, great pic
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:10 am

Heck I've never even thought about the shovel idea lol!

Thanks for the tips!!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AllWeatherAngler Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah, its a labor of love and a much needed workout after the holidays! LOL
The picture depicts a bit more extreme scenario beyond the usual clearing. The ice in this area was only 2.5" during the clearing of the snow. After clearing it we now have 3.5-4" of fish-able ice in that area. Bringing the shovel may seem like a bit of a burden but, I believe it can be a literal lifesaver! Don't worry if your buddies laugh a little cause a swim through the ice is no laughing matter! Be safe out there!
AllWeatherAngler
AllWeatherAngler
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down