Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Trouble For Ohio

Go down

Outdoors Big Trouble For Ohio

Post by OhioFisher Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Any updates on ECDs, endocrine disrupting compounds. All is quiet while the Ohio river slowly dies. I know Smallmouth are especially affected by these compounds that cause reproductive abnormalities. But I hear no reports. Last summer was the worst I have ever seen the river for fish abundance, yet nothing is said or done by any of the agencies.

I know the stocking continues. But in my opinion this will only hurt the fishery thru loss of genetic diversity. I feel this is a stop gap measure and nothing is being done to fix the real problems. Come on, what is going on! I have been told the river is a different animal and the fishery is up and down. This is true to a certain extent. But common sense should prevail. The river is in big trouble.

Someone out there knows something or has some idea of what is happening to the mighty Ohio. I am told things are pretty good and getting better. Hogwash! Just look at the parking lots of the access ramps in spring. 2 or 3 boats when there should be 30. This tells the real story. Lets hear from some one who has the real scoop. Not someone who works for the system and has to much to loose. Our river is in big trouble and they know it. Where are the schools of fish. Birds working. Schools of spotted bass pushing water. Showers of shad. And the least present fish I have seen in 30+ years, the Small Mouth bass.

Oh you say, I am seeing lots of little Small Mouth. Me to, stalked, to the last fish. Oh you say, just a bad year. Wise up. Pretty pictures and stringers of fish don't tell the true story. How many of you keep and eat your fish today. Not like we used to. The fisherman has always payed the price of a Lisc. fee, took the wrap for fishery declines, worked to improve the fisheries. We do our part, and I believe we will see the biggest decline in or fisheries in history. And it is not from over fishing. Where is all the money going. Not to the fishery! Now call this thread political and eliminate it. Call me ignorant and dismiss me. And witness the largest decline of our fisheries in history. Do you think farm and tank raised fish are are worth being proud of. Funny, aint it.
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down