Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice Fishing Bass Tactics?

5 posters

Go down

Fishing Ice Fishing Bass Tactics?

Post by OhioFisher Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:28 pm

When we have been catching those gills in NW Ohio I always see so many bass (20-30) on my camera but only get One or NONE to bite! I've tried jigging spoons with minnows a plain minnow ice jigs and a waxie-EVERTHING. Next I'll try some jiggin raps or someting that gives off movement because this isn't working.
You guys have any tips for me on how to get some of those bass?
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Fishing Re: Ice Fishing Bass Tactics?

Post by bugeyedjig Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:27 am

whenever we are trying for bass, we fish 2 rods. 1 with a jigging spoon or rapala, and the other deadstick with a couple extra waxworms on the jig. we work the spoon or rap like crazy, with very few pauses, and when we do pause it is only for sgort count of five......weird thing is they always take the deadstick jig with the waxworms. spoon must call them over and be too much for them so they eat the easy catch. try it next time you see one.
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:01 am

I do that follow-up technique both when ice fishing, and when I'm sight fishing bass in the spawn. Start with a larger lure or more bold presentation and then downsize or tone down the presentation.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Outdoorsman Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:10 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:I do that follow-up technique both when ice fishing, and when I'm sight fishing bass in the spawn. Start with a larger lure or more bold presentation and then downsize or tone down the presentation.

You ever try a fat juicy night crawler. You hit the sweet spot and they have to pick it up. If you can keep it away from the gills it can be deadly. Its not about the size of the crawler its about how well it moves.
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:33 pm

to be honest I fish for bass exclusively with artificial. Occasionally I'll get one when I'm catfishing or panfishing with live bait though.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Outdoorsman Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:07 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:to be honest I fish for bass exclusively with artificial. Occasionally I'll get one when I'm catfishing or panfishing with live bait though.

I only fish Crawlers when they are on the bed. I release almost every one. Last year I caught over twenty over 20 inches with a crawler in numerous ponds or small lakes. It can be deadly if mastered and with great patience. My biggest is eight pounds & two ounces. I love rubber worms and have grown to love spinner baits for bigger bass when the water heats up.

I love a HOT shallow pond. It can be breath taking when they are active in that time of year.
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:52 am

twenty over 20 inchs. awesome you are the man!!!!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Try throwing a lizard when they're bedding up! The lizards eat the eggs so they bite them out of protective instinct, and the lizards are one of their most valuable food sources, full of protein and easy to digest(low energy loss).
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Fishing Bass

Post by OhioFisher Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:Try throwing a lizard when they're bedding up! The lizards eat the eggs so they bite them out of protective instinct, and the lizards are one of their most valuable food sources, full of protein and easy to digest(low energy loss).

That sounds really good to me!!! All makes sense Wink
Thanks for all the tips guys
Won't have a chance to try em till next year though Sad
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm

thats one of my fav. 4" green pumpkin lizard texas rigged weightless
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 am

That's it right there.. and weightless is good because you can be a subtle as possible. It also keeps you from disturbing the nest which is a very bad thing. If you hook one get it right back in the water, and leave the nest alone as much as possible.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down