Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

smallies

+2
OhioFisher
saugeye1
6 posters

Go down

Outdoors smallies

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 pm

well let's get something new started. everyones fav stream or river smallie baits. mine is 3 1/2 inch tube baits,shad raps, topwater is heddon tiny torpedo. also like in line spinners and the good old stand by 3" grub with 1/8 oz head. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!! I'll go ahead and thank everyone for participating, and for those who don't enjoy anyway.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: smallies

Post by OhioFisher Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 pm

My top 3:
Black 1/8oz. rooster tail
Yellow mr. twister banana scented 1/16oz. jig and half worm
Rebel wee-craw
smallies 007-1
smallies 002-2-1

go ahead and thank everyone for participating, and for those who don't enjoy anyway.
lol!
Good Luck Guys!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:10 pm

oh yea forgot about the rebel craw, jonny i was just watching yuor stream smallies video's good stuff!!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kmjschulz Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 pm

hula grub on stand up jighead, black or white roostertail, bandit crankbait 200-300 series, 2.5-3.5 inch tubes, bitsy bug jigw/trailer, black buzzbait in the fall i could probably name 10 more i'll just stop there.
kmjschulz
kmjschulz
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 pm

rapala x-rap and the husky jerk, clown and silver/black patterns... caught this one on a husky jerk fishing in the marina area on CJ Brown... 21" 4lbs

smallies Smallmouth005

smallies Smallmouth004
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:10 pm

NICE SMALLIE!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:15 pm

What a baby Laughing
He said river/stream baits lol!
Nice for CJ!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:18 pm

would still use the rapala husky jerk for smallies in creeks and rivers... have caught quite a few smallies in buck creek on them and over in Pennsylvania on kettle creek
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:24 pm

thats another i forgot to add i also use hj8 in hocking river around athens, catch smallies and saugeyes
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:29 pm

I fished the hocking river in the nelsonville area last year in the afternoons when we were done turkey hunting... never caught anything though
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:34 pm

fk make it over this way again, look me up. hocking has some pigs in it. from rt 328 in logan to nelsonville 15" size limit on smallies. not rare every year to hear of several 21" fish. ps. where did ya turkey hunt at, probably not far from my house.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:51 pm

not too familiar with the area... but bethany ridge rd, mcgill rd. rt 53... those sound right... its a buddy's property... didn't kill one, but we heard 'em
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm

thats east of guysville i know where that is. not really close. 45 mins from me, but i do work in that area some. fk check out post on panfish about flies
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kmjschulz Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:09 pm

A gold x-rap did pretty good for me in the hocking last year as well as in some lakes for that matter. My second biggets bass last year was caught on it,heck i knew i forgot something on my list.
kmjschulz
kmjschulz
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:18 pm

kmj shouldn't have stopped, you should have named your top ten. i have an excuse my wife says its old timers!!!!!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:51 pm

pearl blue 3" grub with blue metal flake in the Scioto and the Darby early in the season.

Smithwick Rogue, white buzzbait (small), or inline spinner. These are good during summer, and especially at daybreak and shortly after sunset.

I also like to fish tubes of all different sizes, colors and presentations.

BUT..... my most favorites soft plastic offering is probably a craw that is made by warrior baits. They're hand poured and have wicked action especially if you rig them heavy with a football jig. Just bounce them around and bang them into stuff. Simple as that.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kmjschulz Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:17 pm

lol yea i can't use that as an excuse i'm too young one thing i noticed worked pretty good last year was rigging a jig with a tube for the trailer i'd never done that before last year of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist but yea i like tweaking it a little like that. I seemed to catch bigger fish that way.
kmjschulz
kmjschulz
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigbass101 Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:12 am

Chugger style topwater, Big O, Rebel Wee Craw, and tube jig
Bigbass101
Bigbass101
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 am

ratherbe i see u mentioned the darby, u ever fished on scioto darby rd outside of commercial point.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:22 am

I fish the Darby between just north of Milford Center all the way down to Battelle Metro park. I fish a lot more in the area north of Unionville Center than I do the area below it. I do like the area around the park though, very accessible and it has some good holes. I have a buddy who probably fishes it a lot more than I do, and another who was smallie fishing down there about two years aro and wound up getting a 6.5 lb. largemouth.
Do you fish Commercial Point a lot?
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 pm

always wanted to try it,don't like to wade alone to much in unfamilar waters in case something happens. several years ago caught nice smallie out of hocking and went to unhook him and he jumped and pulled my hand back only to realize i had treble hook buried completely in my finger could onle see tips of treble sticking out on a 2" countdown rapala. had to drive my stick shift with it haning on my finger. that was an expirience. any way u ever want to try it i'm game
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 pm

I'd love to, river smallies are wild and acrobatic so they're well worth the drive even now that I'm in Bellefontaine.
But I'll leave the body piercing to the professionals.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 pm

river smallies are def. a favorite, hopefully weather will cooperate toward the end of march, i'm going to try to hit hocking here in a coupe of weeks, if i pick anything up, we could hopefully get out by end of month or beg. of april. bye the way thats the only body piercing i ever had. LOL
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I could see how that might sour you on them.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down