Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Famous Ribs!!!

5 posters

Go down

Outdoors My Famous Ribs!!!

Post by BassinMaumee Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 am

For the picky BBQ eater, if you want the most succulent tastiest ribs, you CAN NOT par-boil them...

Now this is just an opinion... and we all know what they say about those... but lets think about this before you all go bashing me...

What tastes good coming off almost any cooked meat? FAT!!

Yea we don't like to think about it but its true, if you take out most of the fat, you take out most of the flavor, kind of simple if you ask me...

I won't give you my EXACT recipe, as I used three seperate recipes to come up with my own... my wife loves my ribs and agrees I should not give it out...

So here is the deal... I will tell you how to get the most tender tasty ribs you ever laid your lips on...

BAKE your RIBS... and you cant Bake them at a super high temp either...
(actually you can but they come out like burnt toast.. I know In Shock)

Obviously the longer you cook them, the lower the temp needs to be...

I have 3 MUST FOLLOW steps:

1) Cook slow and long
2) Keep the ribs moist, easy to do if you are steaming them the whole time
3) Find the BBQ sauce you like the best to use as the basting sauce...

What you will need:

Your favorite BBQ seasoning... since you are not cooking with alot of herbs you still need to rub the ribs with a good rub...

ONE FULL can of GOOD BEER... your favorite Beer, believe it or not the beer WILL affect the taste, even if only slightly... My favorite for this is blue moon its a good beer, and although I dont like to drink it, I think it adds a great taste to the ribs...

A Deep Baking Dish, preferably with a small rack so that the ribs are not sitting in the beer...

Aluminum Foil... remember you are trying to STEAM and slow cook the ribs, so longer at lower temps is better...

If you are in a rush you can get them done in just over 2.5 hours...

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, put the already rubbed ribs on the rack, poor the beer in the bottom of the baking pan, lay the aluminum foil over the pan crimping the edges down so that it becomes sealed.

When cooking the ribs in this fashion (BAKING)... DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN, or TOUCH THE RIBS... the temperature needs to stay constant to cook the ribs thouroughly... bake them for 2 hours...

For lower temps the general concensus is a minimum of 200 degrees for around 3-4 hours all the way up to 400 degrees for one hour... I personally believe 250 degrees for between 3 - 3.5 hours is about perfect... once the baking is complete

Once the baking is complete, preheat your grill to med-high, and right before you put the ribs on turn the level all the way down... if possible, and you have a grill similar to mine, you can leave the outmost burners on, and cook the ribs in the middle by indirect heat...

Remember, this step (grilling) is ONLY to thicken the BBQ sauce onto the ribs, they are already done... so you can use your overn to accomplish the same thing... Baste the ribs VERY libberally, and grill for 15 mins per side to to thicken up the sauce onto the ribs...

VOILA!

Your Ribs are done...

I hope you all will try this recipe, it seemed weird to me, as I learned early on par-boiling was the easiest way to cook ribs, I learned that the easiest way is not always the best way...

My Famous Ribs!!! Myribs
BassinMaumee
BassinMaumee
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: My Famous Ribs!!!

Post by ratherbefishing Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 am

Ribs are definitly something that you can't rush. I really like them smoked, dry rub, and no sauce... I will sometimes add some while I'm eating them though.. it has to be good sauce though.
Thanks for the recipe and cooking instructions. I'm glad somebody else is going to post on the cooking forum! After all catching and cleaning the fish is only half the fun of providing for the family.

Nice Job maumee

ratherbe
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:28 pm

My mouth is watering just reading this thread... great recipe, thanks for sharing
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BassinMaumee Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 pm

I had these again tonight, Meijer had a good sale on ribs so I got a lot of them, probally 8-10 lbs worth only spent around 25$ for the ribs!
BassinMaumee
BassinMaumee
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 am

good deal!!!
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I chase those specials around... especially when they do those spring meat sales.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BB Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

I pretty much cook my ribs exactly as you do, Bassin.... The only change I like to do is to bake the ribs with the rub and beer method, but then I refridgerate them overnight. Then I do the grill thing the same way you described. This seems to keep them extra juicy. Man! I wish I hadn't eaten supper already.
BB
BB
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tod Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:30 am

Looks good to me I can cook pretty darn well but when it comes to ribs I seem to strike out every time.
Tod
Tod
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down