Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures

+4
ratherbefishing
bugeyedjig
kmjschulz
OhioFisher
8 posters

Go down

Fishing MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures

Post by OhioFisher Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:15 am

Well Dad didn't beleive me but he said if I woke him up at seven we would got to the mad today so he could show me his "Secret Spots" lol. So we got our chit together and at 8:30ish we hit the road. It's about 2:15 to get there (West Liberty Area) and thats where we would start our day.

Dad hasn't been fishing in the Mad since we moved away from Springfield so the first couple of spots we went to weren't like they used to be Wink So it took us a few hours to get on some fish, Driving around the memories fell into place and we finally stumbled onto a hole. Where we drove there was a sweet vulture right near us-if you've fished the mad, you know this area
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1881

In the pitures I have whited out the background although its nothing against our members but the ones who don't register and lurk and try to steal spots. If you are interested in the areas I'm fishing feel free to shoot me a pm. Also lately I seem to be detailing the begining of my reports and then really tailing off lol I hope you don't mind, they still read good but I'm getting lazy.

Anyways this spot was a perfect deep hole, below a riffle, with logs for hiding, and not in an area where it's fished ~too~ often. As soon as we walked down we saw fish hitting the top and flashing and knew there HAD to be SOME trout in there. It took some chub sorting and time but finally I got lucky and caught one my first trout in the mad in a long while! A nice little brownie-not big enough to keep-we didn't keep any anyways...
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1883-1
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1885

Next of course the pro gets one, a real biggun and it breaks off, then he gets even luckier and gets another keeper fish!!! A nice rainbow, started slow but really turned on!
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1884-1
We kept fishing this hole with worms and weren't doing any good until we tried powerbait like stuff and man they really liked that!! We fished this hole a steady half hour or so until we'd thought we'd cleaned it out. So we walked a mile or more downstream to not find any more really good spots. So on the way back I stopped back at the hole and caught a nice brownie with a hook mark in his mouth-I wonder??? Wink
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1887

After this Dad got me talked into fishing soe spots close to where we parked and they didn't look good to me so I said, you go ahead and fish it... As soon as he threw the worm out in both spots, that we stayyed at for only 5 mins or so, he caught fish-one a real nice rainbow and the other a little rainbow. The tree picture is just a sweet upsidedown tree I took a pic of Laughing
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1888-1
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1889-1
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1886

After we fished that strech it was already five o'clock so I told Dad he had to put me on some fish, wheter not I'd catch em or not... Well haha
We went straight to this other road and he kknew exactly where the spot was but go figure theres a fly guy standing right in the hole... So we tried down below in a swift rapids and lucky the pro hooked a real nice trout and it was juppin and runnin but got off Sad

After fishing this place for awhile I decided I would go fish the hole flyguy or not-turns out he was gone Smile but I only had one worm and on my first cast I got a bite and lost it so I resorted to what I had and got only chubs-there was a good picture for one though Wink
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1890

So here comes lucky pro-good thing he doesn't read these lol- and on like his first cast of course nibble nibble-BAM he nailed one, then another, then another, then another, I was realled pissed during this time, although they had no size nothing was going my way Wink I missed SO many bites by not letting the fish eat it enough but you'll have that.
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1893
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1891-1
MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures DSCF1892-1

Today was a REALLY fun day. I can't say I'm the best trout fisherman but it's deffinetly a change of pace and sometimes that real goodd Wink The water was low and clear and a beautiful day!!!. This was a long report, let me tell ya Wink Hope you felt like you were right there with us!!!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Fishing Re: MAD RIVER-Trout and Chubs-Pictures

Post by kmjschulz Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:38 am

Those are some good pictures, congrats on the fish and the good time
kmjschulz
kmjschulz
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bugeyedjig Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:37 am

hey, great trip! and great pictures. i never have caught a rainbow down there, only browns. did the state start stocking them again?
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 am

BEJig you could come down and we could try for some. My family used to live on a farm at upper valley pike, and I know a lot of places we can go.

Jonny you have to let me know the next time you and your dad are going to come down... since the disappearence of flathead I'm without a lead on putting anything together on Mad River.

I'm up for trying again! If anybody at all is interested. Heck I'll even feed you!
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:42 pm

LOL
We didn't catch any small brows so I'm guessing they did not

I would like to know when and where they stock because its so muc different now-so much more pressure

I probably won't be around again for awhile but I'll remember that Smile Jerry has a woman now-self expanitory lol

Thanks Guys
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BrendanK Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:53 pm

why do you delete all behind you
BrendanK
BrendanK
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Read The Report Wink
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:47 pm

great pics and goood time with your dad. haven't caught a brown yet, maybe this will be the year. ratherbe hope to make it over this year just got to get some money together for a hotel. work is just now picking up so that means some ot.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BrendanK Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:47 pm

my friend timmy who i mainly fish with has 3 houses 1 in nj where he lives year round 1 in florida for spring break and 1 in upstate ny for weekends in teh summer and they live near 2 huge reserviors and a monster brown trout followed in my storm kickin minnow but it got to close to shore and it turned off but it was a monster
BrendanK
BrendanK
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:55 am

There are some really cheap places to stay around here... there are a few places in Bellefontaine, and a few more in Urbana that are very affordable. Like I said... dinner's on me!
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreCast Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 pm

deleted

Last edited by OneMoreCast on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
OneMoreCast
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2