Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats Happening At Lake Logan

Go down

Outdoors Whats Happening At Lake Logan

Post by OhioFisher Sat May 16, 2009 10:56 pm

jim rempel wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cast and I were out side at 3 Am. The air was still for once this week and it was a humid 61 degrees. The old Maple tree in the front yard had been reduced to a stump so I had to look elsewhere to gauge the wind. The moon shown brightly through wispy clouds. A strong storm front had been predicted to strike us sometime today. I hoped that it would hold off until after weigh in. In any case, this storm front would bring in a serious cold front right behind it. The high today was predicted to be 75 degrees and tomorrows high would be 55. Cast and I came back inside, and he had his breakfast. I had a cup of coffee and waited on Beth's alarm clock to go off. I had the boat hooked up and was ready to go as Beth was still having her first cup of eye opener. You just can't hurry the woman until she has had her first cup of coffee. We were off and arrived at the parking lot at the main boat ramp at around 6 AM. Larry Sali was launching his boat and was the only other person present. We launched and waited for the rest of our friends to arrive. As the crowd gathered, we heard stories of Dow Lake, Burr Oak and other area tournaments through the week. We also heard a few mushroom stories as well. Beth and I went to our boat and cast off from the State Boat dock. Beth began handing out rods and sorting baits for the day. We elected to head North again and try not only our favorite bank but the grass mats in the bay. We both had different frogs tied on. At Blast off we headed out. Not many were coming with us it seemed. We shut down off shore from our bank and threw Crank baits and spinner baits on our way to our spot. No action, but we did learn that the grass beds were growing really nice. We managed to boat one Bass of around 8 inches and lots of Rock Bass. The winds stayed absent until around 930 AM when a northern wind blew easily across the lakes surface creating a soft ripple. We tried our frogs in the bay, dragging them across the matted grass and around some stumps. No luck. We headed out and decided to fish into the wind. The wind had increased to such velocity that fishing jigs and worms was almost out of the question. We threw our spinner baits and crank baits without any luck. We decided to trailer up a half an hour early to avoid the mad rush Several others had the same idea as did a few non tournament boaters. I asked these fellas if they had done any good and they all replied in the negative. As more and more boats were towed into the parking lot we noticed a few folks emptying live wells into weigh bags. Beth readied her camera and went down to the picnic table at water edge to get pictures before the fish were released. I grabbed my notebook and pen and went to the Birchers boat to await the results. I was anxious to at least see some nice fish and hopefully lots of them. First to report to the scales was Gary Pierce, fishing without his buddy "Billy Basstard", Gary had one just over 12 inches that weighed 1.22 lbs. Geno Seegur was next, he and his wife Katrina had one 15 incher that went 2.04 lbs. Larry Sali weighed in a 17 1/4 inch Bass at 2.68 lbs. Zack Chesser and Kermit Berry weighed in 3 for a total of 3.12 lbs. Mike Swearingen had a nice sack of 4 that weighed 8.88 lbs. total. His big bass weighed in at 3.24 lbs. then it was over. Of the 25 folks who fished today only 11 total fish were weighed in. All in all another lousey day at Lake Logan . On the other hand it was a lot of fun to be in our boat, out on the water, trying to catch a fish or two. Not to mention being with a great bunch of people that love their sport. We are looking forward to next weekend..............Jim

Mike Swearingen First Place

Kermit Berry and Zack Chesser Second Place

Larry Sali
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down