Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Report from my youth hunt

5 posters

Go down

Outdoors Report from my youth hunt

Post by OhioFisher Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Report from my youth hunt Gally-1

Drove 5hrs down to the hills We call the area we hunt "The block"
1.Got set told some stories with the good old hilljacks next door and set the alarm for 6:00 in the camper

(As the "mini reports" are numbered use them as a key on the map to see whats going on Wink)

Well, that was too late
2. As we started up the hill we got to the top of it and heard a gobble already!!! We heard it at the main turn at the middle of the blue line
Picked up the pace and sat on top of a holler where they were, they had flown down from some pines where they normally roost-bordering a grassy field

From what we could tell there was one gobbler in this group by the "Pines"

3.As we called we got calls back, mostly from hens until the gobbler started calling but he was farther down in this holoow so we moved maybe 30yds down hill to get a bit closer to the turkey about 150yds away. As soon as we get this gobbler calling and some hens that sound as if they are coming closer

4. "gobble gobble" from behind us, a lound crazy goble from a couple of turkeys!!!!

5. From then on out we had gobbles and alot of them from the two turkeys behind us, every call we would get a call back from soemthing
So as we try and call what we thought could have beena gobbler or as we would find out later, hens they come all the way into the decoys and stay for 10mins or so!!!
Then we keep calling to the gobbers and they were RUNNING towards us!!! FAST!!!! every call they were ALOT closer until they got within 50yds of us it was a real fast movement towards us...
Then they slowded down and worked from the grassy field clser to us, but they were blocked by this thick brush to our right, We could not see the turkeys but they were REALLY close, within 20yds...
We thought they would walk right in but they never did Sad they struted or a long wile uintil they disappeared Sad

Did some work around the farm and then planted some tunips... Fished and then got ready to repeat the process

The next day we set up in a better spot and on;y heard turkeys when they came down from the roost in the pines... They never came into our calling, even after i got good with the mouth call Smile

Walked ALL OVER and found one mushroom but never saw any turkeys the next day Sad cloudy weather had em tuckered out

Still a really fun trip and for my second hunt for turkey I enjoyed it, used the 10ga. btw Laughing
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: Report from my youth hunt

Post by kprice5 Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 pm

good story.... sorry you could not connect with a nice gobbler. You still have plenty of time. Are you going this weekend?

Instead of moving closer to the gobbles I like to make it sound like im moving away from the gobblers so they think the hens are moving away so they better get over there. In nature the hens are supposed to find the toms so in order to reverse that you really have to work.
kprice5
kprice5
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:43 pm

good call kprice, when ever i call for someone i always sit 30 to 40 yards behind them. may even move farther to make to think hens are moving away. also pick at the leaves to try to imitate feeding turks, i hope everyone has an awesome season. just hearing the gobbles makes the trip worth it to me.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by bugeyedjig Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:56 pm

must really be something to sit in the woods and hear them suckers gobble. good luck to everyone hunting
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for the tip kprice
Also learned another tip from an old timer down there that if the gobblers hear you in the mornin but decide to go with the flockk if you sit and wait all day after the hens go the the nest the gobblers will come back looking for you
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kprice5 Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm

yeah thats def true. Another tip is to use the wing of a turkey you have shot in the past and use it to imitate a flying down turkey off the roost. You can also use a hat.

Alot of people over call the birds because of the excitement you get when a big tom gobbles. Once that tom gobbles back he knows exactly where that sound came from.
kprice5
kprice5
Outdoorsman 4
Outdoorsman 4

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 pm

if u don't have an old wing, primos makes one, sounds great, i'm pumped for the weekend, buddy called me and invited me down to his farm to stay the weekend
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BB Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 am

Great story Ohiofisher. It sure gets exciting when birds are all over around you.

I had 12 hens come in by my decoy yesterday morning. They pecked around for 10-15 minutes and moseyed off. 3 jakes came in awhile later. I had a good shot at one of them, but earlier I saw 3 real nice gobblers in a field about 60 yds away, so I passed on the jake hoping to get one of them close. They never came around. I'll definitely be out this weekend. My buddy shot a jake late in the morning. He was hunting about 200 yds from me.
BB
BB
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Yeah it does
Nice Report Wink

Hope ya get that gobbler!!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher