Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

teddy bear park...fish ohio channel cat

+2
saugeye1
bugeyedjig
6 posters

Go down

Outdoors teddy bear park...fish ohio channel cat

Post by bugeyedjig Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 am

first time out in a week yesterday, and the weather looked great for some crappie with cloudy skies and no rain. we headed out to hit 3 spots. the first pond was little bluegill after little bluegill stealing our minnows, but elliott had a blast fishing 6 inches deep and watching them come up and grab his worm. he caught atleast a dozen. we did the usual and cheered and cheered. we left there and headed to teddy bear. got down to our spot baited up and threw in on our brush pile. all of a sudden my ultralight shoots into the water while i wa baiting elliott up. SLOW MOTION at this point i saw the rod under the water and it moved about six inches; in i went up to my knees and grabbed the rod. i thought one of the boys kicked it by accident, but the rod felt heavy in my hand. i set the hook and the monster took off down the bank with me running behind it. pole doubled over and reels drag screaming. i went half way around the pond with the boys close behind cheering and giggling. finally we see a big tail. now i am thinking saugeye since this is where i got my fish ohio. i pump the rod and gain some line when it runs again back the other way. so we followed again. finally we get it close and its a huge cat. i hand kim the rod and land it by hand since we forgot the net. we settle down and mom gets us with the camera. then we turned her loose. 28 inch ........8 pound female channel catfish, my poor little ultralight with the 4 pound line sure has had a work out this spring. tore it down again when we got home and greased everything up. trying to save it long as i can. after the fish, a big heavy rain set in so we headed home.
ate supper and the sun came out so down to cobb lake we went and kim landed 2 nice crappie, and they shut off.
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: teddy bear park...fish ohio channel cat

Post by bugeyedjig Sun May 17, 2009 7:26 am

nice outing both times, but we just can't seem to get into the crappie in the last 2 weeks. we saw a few on beds 2 weeks ago, and now they are gone so they must be recovering from the spawn. another week of that and we'll be ready for them. even the white bass have shut off at cobb. long spring warm up is messing up our schedule. by the way, while at cobb i saw the skunk, and kim let me know it! Laughing anyways here is our big catteddy bear park...fish ohio channel cat Img_2413
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun May 17, 2009 8:04 am

nice cat, sounds like that ultralight is really getting a workout
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 am

Ahaha great report!!!
What a monster channel!!
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Outdoorsman Sun May 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Sounds like a great day with the kids. Nice cat.
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman 1
Outdoorsman 1

Back to top Go down

Post by idontknow316 Sun May 17, 2009 10:31 pm

That is a good looking cat, I always forget the net. You bring the net and you never need it, you forget the net and of course you need it. lol
idontknow316
idontknow316
Outdoorsman 2
Outdoorsman 2

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Tue May 19, 2009 10:10 pm

very nice bej
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team